A SYMPATHETIC GESTURE

There are crown princes and crown princes, and the Crown Prince of Sweden, now touring the country, has shown a temper that even Americans of a thoroughly unsentimental nature can admire. Speaking at the Swedish Lutheran Church is New York City, he admitted gratification that it had preserved the Swedish tongue in many rites, but remarked, "on the other hand you must see that it is your self-evident duty as American citizens to master fully the English Language and the ideals of this country, that you may become good citizens and fulfill obligations of American citizenship."

What would have sounded trite, perhaps ultra-conservative, even hypocritical upon the lips of the average Americanization worker, rings true as spoken by a Swede to members of his own race in this country. It stands out likewise as unique. In moments of extreme nationalism, nations have maintained spies in foreign lands to link emigrants to their abandoned fatherland. Seldom do they even now encourage complete expatriation. Ties of sentiment and race forbid. The lands of Europe have long regarded emigration as imperialistic energy gone to waste, and begrudged to the land to which their sons departed the fruits of their toil.

Evidently the Crown Prince of Sweden, haling from the least of imperialists, has discovered that the true nationalism is internationalism. It is a fact becoming more and more evident to the world at large as cooperative projects gain ground. But it is not surprising that such as Sweden, which has played the role of interested spectator in Europe's sword-rattlings, should be the most thoroughly pervaded with the new nation. One remembers that the dove has always found it easiest to alight in Geneva the Hague, or Stockholm than in Paris, London, or Berlin.

At any rate the gracious advice of the Prince to his former countrymen ought not to be lost upon the world. If royalty have been degraded to figureheads, they may yet serve as spectacular and useful ornaments. If he continues to pay the melting pot the compliment of understanding, the Prince will likely capture a public usually crudely sportive where crowned heads are concerned.