GOODWIN TELLS REASON FOR LICENSE TAG CODFISH

Registrar Bares Motive Behind Fish on Plates--Will "Sit Tight" in His Controversy With Fuller

"That codfish on the license plates has been a great advertisement," remarked Frank A. Goodwin, registrar of motor vehicles, whose dismissal is being threatened by Governor Alvan T. Fuller, as he stuck a small codfish pin onto a CRIMSON reporter's lapel in his office on Commonwealth Pier yesterday.

"This pin was made as an advertisement by Gorton, the fish dealer, you know," the license magnate continued, "and that fish of mine on the license has as definite a purpose. We used to identify the licenses in various years by the color only," Goodwin said, "but every year 20 or 30 people took it upon themselves to repaint the plates to save their registration; we then decided to put on some mark of identification, and have used the cod as such this year."

Goodwin then stated that he had considered the ridiculing of the sacred Bay State "minnow" as a joke. "But it is no joke to mutilate a number plate: that man who has evidently hammered the fish out of his plate must pay $1--that may be expensive for a minnow but it's not too much for a codfish," he chuckled.

Regarding his controversy with Governor Fuller, Goodwin remarked that he would "sit tight, as there are many more powers, aside from the governor's necessary to remove me from my position."