TWO-YEAR SUMMER COURSES PLANNED

Visiting Instructors Are to Give New Courses--Geology Trip Under Mather Included in Program

A new policy, intended for students who wish to formulate a plan of study made up of progressive courses continuing through two summers, will be adopted by the Harvard Summer School this year, it was announced yesterday by P. P. Chase '99, Dean of the school. The purpose of the innovation is to enable students interested in their work to continue studies in their chosen field.

Another innovation for next summer is the geological trip to Europe which will constitute a course in the Summer School's curriculum. This is now being planned by Professor K. F. Mather.

A large number of visiting professors are scheduled to lecture here. Several new music courses will be given by Professor R. D. Welch of Smith College, who has taught musical appreciation in former years. Professor G. A. Hill of Wesleyan University will give two chemistry courses. In the Department of English Professor Merritt Hughes from England, who has recently lectured at the University of California, will be in charge of several courses.

Other visiting lecturers are Professor M. M. Bober of the Economics Department of Lawrence College, Professor t. H. Clark, of the Geology Department of McGill University, Professor R. F. Cushman, of the Government Department of Cornell.

The statistics of the Summer School show that there has been rapidly increasing demand for advance courses during the past five years.