AMERICA HAS EDGE IN OLYMPIC FIELD EVENTS

Coach E. L. Farrell Is Optimistic Over High Jump Prospects--Javelin Throw Chances Are Slim

Continuing his discussions with the CRIMSON on America's chances at the Olympics, Coach E. L. Farrell, University track coach said that in the field events the United States outranked the Europeans in the high jump, the pole vault, the discus throw and the broad jump.

Looking over the different fields thoroughly, and comparing past scores and records, he stated, "America never was very strong in the javelin throw, having scored in it for the first time last year.

"Penttila, representing Finland, has launched the javelin 213 feet. Sund, the Norwegian, has done 204 feet and Molles of Germany and Lindstrom from Sweden have also achieved something like 200 odd feet. America cannot equal these European marks. However, we have improved a great deal in the last few years and America has at least six men approaching the 200 foot mark."

Turning to our chances in the high jump, the experienced mentor said, "America will far outshine anything which Europe offers in this event. This statement is based on the fact that we have four men who are better than Europe's best. Osborne from the I. C. A. A. A. A. holds the record with six feet and six inches; Maynard from Dartmouth has jumped six feet and four inches; Juday from Pennsylvania and King from Stanford have done six feet and four inches, and six feet and five inches, respectively. The best Europeans are Nilson, the Swede, who can reach the six foot four mark, and Koppke from Germany."

Farrell then told about the discus champions in America. Houser, Hoffmann and Hartranft have all thrown the plate at least 150 feet. The best which Europe can show is the German, Hanchen's, 149 foot shot. Others are all under 146 feet. We will more than hold our own in that event," Farrell added, "and I can say the same of the broad jump.

Hubbard is the national champion in the distance jump. He placed first at the last Olympics in Paris, making 25 feet and ten inches his record. At the last I. C. A. A. A. A. meet five men bettered 24 feet; the best Europe has is Doberman from Germany, who has done 24 feet and three inches