LEPROSY CONDITIONS WILL BE ALLEVIATED

HAS SEEN LEPERS IN 32 OF 48 STATES

"I have seen lepers in 32 of our 48 states," was a statement made to a CRIMSON reporter by Dr. W. M. Danner, Secretary of the American Mission to Lepers, who spoke in Peabody Hall of Philips Brooks House yesterday afternoon.

"But what is the most discouraging thing is that Massachusetts and Louisiana are the only states attempting to remedy conditions," he went on to say. Dr. Danner then explained that his hopes for the future of lepers were very great as "Christian sympathy and modern science have joined in a round-the-world campaign to help the leper; governments are rallying to the need of preventing and curing leprosy. In my experience I do not recall that practical aid and comfort have come to lepers anywhere except directly or indirectly through Christian channels. Now, no matter where you look, governments are beginning to study their responsibility in leprosy.

"Finally a word as to the treatment. Progress has not been made as rapidly as many would like," Dr. Danner said, "but still there is much room for encouragement. The results in Hawaii the Philippines, and Korea still appear to be better than elsewhere. In other places the percentage does not appear to be so high, but whether you go to Australia, Malaya, Ceylon, India, or Africa, you find persons who have recovered from leprosy. In nearly all lands in which the disease exists former lepers have been discharged from asylums, restored to their friends, and are able to resume normal life. Contrast this with the dark picture of only a few years ago when no one could look forward to a cure!"

Dr. Danner explained that one of the most significant things he could say was that the old slogan of "once a leper always a leper" was valid no more, and that the more hopeful attitude of considering people afflicted with the disease as "prisoners of hope" should be taken today.