ROAD WORK

Much condolence is due the feminine voters of Bryn Mawr who have survived the gruelling and chaotic procedure of the May Day polling which, with its party politics and agitation, has evidently kept the college girls in a state of hectic suspense and turmoil. However, appearances seem to indicate that it is not the voters who bear the brunt of the burden of electoral vicissitudes. For from an account of the recent proceeding at Bryn Mawr in The College News it would appear that every May Day queen pays a price for her crown in shoe leather if nothing else.

Indeed, Bryn Mawr femininity just loves to see its fortunate choices for the royal headgear promenade. Queenly "walkings" are all the vogue after the horrible strife of a great deal of competition is over, after the heckling over in-numerable processes of elimination dies down, and even after the acceptance of a position which would have delayed things a little longer and added to the excitment had been nullified. This is just an initiation, it seems, into the usual proceedings which the election entails and which The College News condescends to elucidate for "poor muddled heads." It merely reduces the number of young ladies with royal complexes to thirty-one who now prepare for the final slaughter. At the queenly "walking" they are put on exhibition before their various coteries of admirers and as succinctly reported in the Bryn Mawr daily, the "possible May Queens walked." The already amazed outsider is informed that "a few days later" the entire college selected six of these thirty-one prospects and that the survivors again "walked in the cloisters." After this second stage of training in queenly pedestrianism three lone surviving hikers are photographed, evidently being incapable of continuing their queenly "walking."

Student agitation has now exceeded all normal bounds and the mass meeting stage is reached. After numerous suggestions and petitions have been over ridden, the most beautiful, the most popular, the most industrious of all Bryn Mawr May Day Queens is privileged to sit down in a chair for which honor no one will deny she has walked enough.