CIRCUMSTANTIAL EVIDENCE

In a recent issue of the Lampoon there was a cartoon--intentionally ridiculous of course--which depicted the Main Reading Room of Widener Library as it would appear on January 3, 1928. Every seat was vacant and cobwebs adorned the walls. Just how humorous he really was, the artist doubtless had no idea--assuming that humor is an exaggerated perversion of the truth. January 3, 1928, came and Widener's halls were comfortably filled. There appeared to be on difference in routine from post-holiday attendance in other years. And yet a remarkable change had been and still is being effected.

The ultimate results of the Reading Period will be determined by each individual--each man constituting in his own case the best judge. A concrete test will come in the shape of the mid-year and final examinations. But even now, after five days' trial of the plan, one thing has been proved: the halls of learning have not been deserted in wholesale fashion. Whatever else has happened, reading is being done Whether that reading is accomplishing any permanent results is a question for the future. But anyone who doubts the ability of the undergraduate to rise voluntarily before ten o'clock and to sit with a book in his hands for several hours during which he will imbibe at least some information, had best clim's the multitudinous steps of Widener Library and gaze upon the hive. There he will find something which, in view of various prophecies, is surprising and portentous.