FOUR MEN CHOSEN FOR YALE DEBATE

Crimson Affirmative Team Meets Eli Here on November 1--Groups to go on Tour Later

Four men have been picked to represent Harvard on the debating platform Friday evening against Yale in the first debate of the year, it was announced yesterday by J. M. Swigert '30, president of the Harvard Debating Council. The speakers will be J. F. Harding '30, J. K. Hurd '30, L. F. Hess, Sp. and R. F. Quail '30.

The Harvard team will travel to New Haven to argue the negative of the proposition, "Resolved, That 'Al' Smith should be elected president."

Debate Here Next Thursday

On Thursday of next week a Crimson team will uphold the affirmative of the same question against a negative Eli group in Symphony Hall, Boston.

The four men chosen for the New Haven debate were selected from 20 candidates after trials which were conducted last week. It has not yet been decided as to which of these three will be the speakers and which one the alternate, a decision which will, in all probability be announced Friday morning.

Team To Go To Newark

On November 2 a team will be sent to Newark, New Jersey, to debate with the New Jersey Law School team on the same topic. However, the teams will be split, two Harvard men taking the negative stand with one of the Law students, while the other Harvard man debates on the affirmative side with two New Jersey men.

Further plans are being completed for two teams to tour the country during the Christmas vacation. One will go to Des Moines, Iowa, the other to Atlanta, Georgia, and each will take part in four debates in intermediate cities.