GERMAN STUDENT LIFE UNHAMPERED BY RULES

FORESEES PROMISING FUTURE FOR AMERICAN ART

"A student in a German university enjoys a liberty which the American student does not possess." This statement was made to a CRIMSON reporter by Professor Gustay Pauli, who is now giving a series of public lectures on "German Painting from Classicism to Expressionism" under the auspices of the Germanic Museum and the Fogg-Art Museum. Professor Pauli has been connected with museums in Buemen and Dresden and at present is director of the Hamburg Art Museum. He has also attended the universities of Strassburg. Basle and Leipzig.

"The German student in contrast to the students in your colleges has no fixed, living quarters and no yearly or half yearly examination. He attends a university about four years, possibly as few as three, possibly as many as seven. During that period he may choose the number and the character of the lectures he wishes to attend and he takes only one, final examination for a degree after he has spent several years at the university and feels himself competent on his subject.

"In this way he is examined only when he desires. Failing, he is not dismissed in contrast to American usage but may try as often as he desires for his degree.

"The German boy enters a gymnasium at eight or nine years of age and prepares there for his entrance into a university. At 18 or 19 this transition is made although in recent years there is a tendency to lower the age ratios and younger men are found starting their university careers.

"I am very pleased with what I have observed about Harvard University, having discovered an upstanding group of young men with well balanced interests. You have more athletics, moreover, than are found in German universities and I attribute a fine appearance to the lack of excessive drinking prevalent in European student bodies.

"I am also greatly pleased with what I have seen of your country landscape architecture and city skyscrapers, while I foresee a promising future for American art," said Professor Pauli when questioned further on his impressions of his first close acquaintance with America