WALSH, ROOSEVELT TO TALK AT UNION

Democrats Will Have Issues Defined at Luncheon Assemblies - Roosevelt Speaks Friday to 300 Men

Senator David I. Walsh will speak on the presidential campaign issues at a luncheon to be given by the Smith-Robinson Club, in the Faculty Room of the Union at 1.15 'o'clock today.

Senator Walsh was governor of Massachusetts from 1914 to 1915, and United States senator from Massachusetts from 1919 to 1925.

Franklin D. Roosevelt '04, will speak at a luncheon to be given by the Harvard Democratic Club on Friday afternoon at 1.15 o'clock in the Union. The luncheon is limited to 300, and tickets are now on sale at the Union newstand. He is nominee for Governor of New York, and has just been campaigning for Alfred Smith in the South. It was Mr. Roosevelt who nominated Smith for President and applied to him the name of "happy warrior".

Was Crimson President

While at Harvard; Mr. Roosevelt was President of the CRIMSON when it was located in the Union, and he adopted the present type and head-line make-up of the daily. He rowed on several college crews, and was chairman of the Class Committee.

Mr. Roosevelt, after graduating from Columbia University Law School in 1907, practiced with a New York firm until 1910. Then, after three years in the New York Senate he resigned to become Assistant Secretary of the Navy.

Official During War

The Vera Cruz episode and the outbreak of the World War kept him much occupied with naval affairs during 1914. In March, 1915, he was appointed National Commissioner to the Panama Pacific Exposition, and visited San Francisco with the vice president, on the same trip inspecting various naval properties and ships on the Pacific coast. The year 1916 was wholly occupied in doing what was possible under the existing law in getting the Navy Department prepared for the threatened hostilities.

After the declaration of war by the United States, Roosevelt spent all his time changing the navy from a 150 million dollar a year concern to a two billion dollar basis.

Crossed With Troop Convoy

In July, 1918, he crossed the ocean in a destroyer escorting a huge troop convoy. For two months he inspected all United States navy activities in the allied countries, as well as the Grand Fleet, the destroyer and sub-chaser forces, and the aviation and bombing stations. After visiting the allied front lines he returned to this country.

Mr. Roosevelt has been prominent in social and political institutions, and for six years was an overseer of Harvard University.