A SOUND BODY

The tentative announcement of the formation of an intramural hockey league marks one more stage in the present seeking of an ideally exercised University. The process toward attaining the end of athletics for all has been a somewhat slow one, and even with hockey at last gathered into the fold of intra Harvard sports, the curriculum of physical activities is not filled.

The number of minor sports in which class teams do not exist is doubtless in proportion to contemporary interest in those sports. Nevertheless failure to establish such teams is a direct contradiction to any policy of general physical training. Tournaments in wrestling, boxing, squash, create at best a rather unenduring interest in those sports, for the competitor who ventures into action on the spur of the moment is more than likely to give up his venture after a disastrous encounter in the first round. These include the men that, with the incentive of a numeral and the distinction of a place on a class team would choose to remain in the group of constant strivers.

One major sport, too, is still untouched by this new class spirit. Track continues to attract its ten thousands, perhaps to a great extent by means of the ubiquitous intramural handicap meets. With a fertile field of enthusiasts already engaged in this sport, there is no reason why the coming spring should not carry the individualism of the handicap meet and medal through to its logical conclusion of team development. The throng of not-quite-first-stringers that are carried along semi-officially through the season is particularly large in this sport, which alone among the five major athletic activities offers no second team places for these men. If circumstances prevent the formation of a Second Track Team, the men who would be eligible for it merit at least an opportunity to earn a place on a class team, and their number is great enough to make a strong nucleus for such organizations.