HARVARD QUINTET WINS FIRST TILT

Game Characterized by Fast Play From Opening Whistle--Harvard Leads in Aggressiveness

In the first tilt of the season last night, the University basketball quintet defeated the experienced Northeastern five 44 to 39 in Hemenway Gymnasium.

The game started at top speed and continued at the same rate throughout, being marked by numerous fouls on the part of Harvard's players. The Crimson team, composed of three sophomores playing in their first University game, showed up like true veterans. The scoring combination of Captain R.H. O'Connell '29, T. G. Upton '31, J. S. Rex '31, and H. T. Wenner '30 displayed unusual coordination for a team whose only games so far have been with the second team and the Freshmen.

Both Teams Score Early

Both teams scored a goal within four minutes after the starter's whistle blew. Upton, the star of the game, then started a steady line of shots, which more than kept pace with the combined scores Northeastern players.

At the end of the first half, the tally stood 21 to 15 in Harvard's favor, but the outcome of the game at that time was by no means certain.

The second period found the Crimson players still on the offensive. Captain O'Conuell led the onsiasgot with two goals, and was soon followed by Wenner and Rex, all three men working up a total of three baskets each in short order.

Northeastern Threatens

The Northeastern team, until then completely overwhelmed, rallied and threatened a come-back. It's steady teamwork broke up into individual plays, marked by long shots and see-saw runs, from one end of the floor to the other. Northeastern's scoring was evenly distributed no one player being outstanding.

The summary: HARVARD  NORTHEASTERN Wenner, l.f.  r.f., Symancyk Calderara O'Connell, Glenn, r.f.  l.f., Tiffany Upton Pierce Burns, c.  c., Northrop Gregory Rex, l.g.  r.g., Placzek Farrell, Mahady, r.g.  Orcadi, MacDonald

Score--Harvard 44, Northeastern 39, Goals from floor: Farrell Mahady, O'Connell 3, Rex 3, Upton 9, Wenner 3, Gregory 4, Northrop 2, Symancyk 4, Tiffany 3, Goals from fouls--Glenn, Rex 2, Wennerm Orcadi donald. Timekeeper, Maquire. Time of halves--20 minutes.