SPORT PRESCRIBED BY DENTAL SCHOOL

School Authorities Pay Fees for Use of Equipment--Step is Novelty in Curriculum

For the first time in the history of the graduate schools of the country, the Harvard Dental School has inaugurated, as a part of its curriculum, compulsory exercise for Freshmen. This innovation in graduate school administration began this fall, following the example established by Harvard College almost a decade ago.

The authorities have not only adopted a program of compulsory exercise for the first year students, but have also provided opportunities for regular exercise on the part of upper class students.

Eight months' full membership in the Y. M. C. A. at 316 Huntington Avenue, Boston, is provided to each Freshman, the fee of $11 per man being paid by the Dental School administration. The class meets twice a week throughout the academic year, on Wednesday and Saturday at 12:20 o'clock. Such membership entitles each man to all the privileges of the Y. M. C. A., including the use of the gymnasium, swimming pool, handball and tennis courts, club rooms, lounge, and library, at any time. No requirements are attached to these memberships, other than the two periods of exercise each week.

No compulsory exercise periods is required from upper classmen, but these men may obtain membership through the School authorities. The students pay the fees for these memberships. Every effort is being made by the School administration to induce those of the upper classes to take advantage of this opportunity.

In connection with the general furthering of physical exercise at the Dental School, arrangements have been made for students in poor health to rest in the sunlight during the noon hour on cots placed for that purpose on the roof of the School building.