Byrd Not Decided Whether Any Harvard Men Will Be With Him on Next Polar Visit--Advises Public Speaking for Flyers

For lack of a nail an army was lost and for want of a pin, a CRIMSON candidate very nearly lost the desired opportunity of a few words with Commander Richard E. Byrd, famous explorer and trans oceanic flyer, who was in Symphony Hall officiating at a recent international festival of music.

Backstage, an official rushed by with the news that Commander Byrd had arrived and there was no committee on hand to meet him Consequently the reporter stepped into the breach, as a committee of one, and upon reaching Commander Byrd was confronted with the request for a pin. Confusion reigned until Abraham Lincoln, soon to appear with George Washington in a benefit tableau, extracted a pin from his costume and satisfied the need.

"Some Harvard men may be going with me on my next expedition, but since I have at present about 3000 applications for service. I could not very well make a definite statement. In experiences such as we shall face in the polar regions, the best or the worst will come to the surface in any man, and we want to be pretty sure of these that go with us.

"Music and aviation have two things in common," he said, as a chorus of Lettish singers came off the stage, "they inspire friendly relations. The recent trans oceanic flights have done a great deal to bring about tolerance and under standing, and these in turn are the basis for friendship.

"Oh, and one thing more," he nodded. "If you are planning ever to take any flights between the poles, take a course in public speaking, while you have the opportunity."