SKELETON KEYS

A Dartmouth Senior, Charles A. Eastman, has declined membership in Phi Beta Kappa, thereby gaining not a little publicity, and furnishing jaded critics of education with enough controversial material to last them for some time. Mr. Eastman states that he does not regard making Phi Beta Kappa as an honor, since he considers that, "the present system of marks in colleges does not show the true ability of a student".

Doubtless it is true that the cut-and-dried system of judging scholastic ability is deficient, such has long been the contention of critics; but improvement is being sought here by a change in the very nature of college work. President Lowell's recent remarks at Chicago, apropos of modern educational methods, represent the standpoint of a progressive teacher.

Mr. Eastman's opinion of Phi Beta Kappa in particular appears to be rather typical of the present critical attitude of students toward scholastic standards. But, whatever one's opinion of these standards, they nevertheless exist; and the fact that Phi Beta Kappa must conform to them does not mean that it approves of them. Mr. Eastman's rejection of what seems to him a hollow honor is praiseworthy enough morally; but it seems that he is confusing the empty titles so much beloved these days with a distinction that is real. It is to be hoped that his action will not be the prologue to a general lowering of the respect in which Phi Beta Kappa is held.