BOSTON TO HEAR AMERICAN OPERA

Last Rendition of "Faust" on March 23, "Harvard Night"--No Stars in Visiting Troupe

When the American Opera Company, formed last spring to present opera in the language of its audience and to give operatic performances at prices within the means of the average theatre-goer, comes to the Hollis Street Theatre on March 12 for a two weeks' stay, it will offer the first opportunity for a Boston audience to hear purely American singers in English.

Professor E. B. Hill '94, of the Music Department, is honorary chairman of the committee which is sponsoring the Boston performances. The evening of the last production of "Faust", March 23, has been designated as "Harvard Night", it has been announced.

All the singers of the company have worked together as a group for four years, and it is the first time that a really trained chorus has worked together over so long a stretch and that such emphasis has been given to the opera as a whole, making it primarily an ensemble rather than a company of individuals. This company serves as a stepping-stone to the larger companies; for many years there has been a crying need for smaller companies, such as this trained at home rather than studying in Europe. As there are no "stars" in the American Opera Company, an artist who is cast for a principal role one night may have a secondary part the following evening. Instead of a chorus, in the true sense, there is a large group of junior members, all of whom are preparing to sing individual roles. It is not unusual for a member of the organization who generally sings important roles to work with the ensemble at performances which do not demand his services in solo work.

The American Opera Company will open its stay in Boston by presenting Gounod's "Faust" in English on Monday evening. "Faust" will be followed by Puccini's "Madame Butterfly" on Tuesday and Mozart's "Marriage of Figaro" on Wednesday. Tickets for the performances may be obtained at Steinert Hall on Boylston St. The prices of seats will range from $1 to $3.50.