"HASSAN" ANNOUNCED AS SPRING PLAY OF THE H-D-C

FIRST PRODUCED IN LONDON IN 1924 WITH MARKED SUCCESS

"Hassan," a play in three acts, written by J. E. Fleckner, is the play chosen by the officers of the Dramatic Club for its spring production.

The play was first shown in London in 1924, enjoying a great success, and was then brought to New York to be smothered within a fortnight. Hereabouts it is known only as a printed play, the work of a poet, cut off in the prime of his youth, whose imagination was fantastic, realistic, and glamorous.

"Hassan" is full of the atmosphere of "The Arabian Nights." The scene is laid in ancient Bagdad, in the days of Haroun al Raschid, and there are pictures of disguise and adventure, cruel fate and torture. "The New Statesman" refers to "Hassan" as a "magnificent acting play. It is a work of unalloyed emotional sincerity and a great luxurious warmth of imagination. If it becomes advantageous again to parade abroad the fruits of English culture, our patriot propagandists, looking round for modern poetic tragedy of English birth with which to impress neutrals, will not be forced to fall back on "Salome". "Hassan" will do us credit and far more credit, too."

Competitions for membership in the Dramatic Club will take place on Thursday and Friday, when the trials will be held from 2 to 6 o'clock on the afternoons. Candidates, desiring to enter the competition, are asked to sign up in the blue books which will be placed in Leavitt and Peirce's. The place where the trials are to be held will be announced in the blue books.