Crimson Poll of Presidential Candidates Will Open Today

Balloting Begins in Three Places at 9 O'clock This Morning--Additional Polls to Open Later--W. Y. Elliott Heartily Endorses Plan

At 9 o'clock this morning the two-day polling will begin in the University in an effort to determine the trend of undergraduate opinion regarding the leading possibilities for the Presidential nominations. At that hour the ballot-boxes will open in the Crimson Building, in Langdell Hall, and in the Baker Library.

This poll is part of a nationwide canvass of more than 70 colleges and universities of the East, the State universities of the Middle West and Far-West, and a number of smaller colleges of recognized rank in educational circles.

Additional polling-places will open at 12 o'clock today at the Union, Smith Halls, and Gore Hall. These will close at 2 o'clock, while those at the Business School and the Law School will close at 3 and 5 o'clock respectively. The ballot-boxes tomorrow will be open at the following places: Langdell Hall, Austin Hall, Sever Hall, and the Baker Library, 9 to 5 o'clock; Union, Smith Halls, and Gore Hall, 12 to 2 o'clock. The polls will be open all day at the Crimson Building on both Monday and Tuesday.

Professor W. Y. Elliott, of the department of Government, commenting upon the CRIMSON poll, said yesterday, "I heartily endorse the plan. Anything that encourages the interest of students in national affairs is valuable.

"The presidential polls are the only ones which seem important enough to the people to excite public opinion. Since we do not have the parliamentary system in this country, the presidential election does of course eclipse the congressional in national importance. It is perhaps unfortunate that it is more upon personalities than upon issues that attention is directed.

"Such polls as that which the CRIMSON has undertaken seem to be the only way of focusing public opinion."

Voters will signify on their ballots the one man whom they would prefer as the representative of each party. Any one may vote for a candidate not on the ballot. The result of today's poll will be announced tomorrow morning.

The ten candidates whose names will appear on the ballot are: Democrats; A. Victor Donahey, of Ohio; James A. Reed, of Missouri; Alfred E. Smith, of New York; and Thomas J. Walsh, of Montana. Republicans; Charles Curtis, of Kansas; Charles G. Dawes, of Illinois; Herbert Hoover, of California; Frank O. Lowden, of Illinois; and Frank B. Willis, of Ohio.