MAMMON AND MINERVA

Thousands of expert computations, all with different results, have been made of the monetary value of a college education. No one. however, has attempted to calculate the value of college to men already wealthy, partly for lack of statistics, partly because very few affluent students have made their own fortunes. Harvard is to harbor for several years, beginning this fall, one of the latter rare aves.

Raymond Koger of Connecticut is twenty seven, married, wealthy, and discontented. All the pleasures of Wall street cannot sweeten the huge hand of business that has thus far kept him occupied since his school days. He is coming to get an A. B., and then spend two more years at the Business School. His motive is not to make friendships that will help him in business, for he has no used to them; nor to be a big man in the college, nor nay of the other reasons that form the basic impulse for many students to enter. His motive, to live and enjoy an ordinary college life. is refreshing simple and commendable.

But does Mr. Koger know the barriers he must clear to reach his goal? He must think of concentration and distribution, tutorials. April Hours, University 4, the hundred obstacles confronting the honest seeker or a degree. He must hurdle the College Boards to get in, and Divisionals to get out. The list is long, but one hesitates to continue, lost this member of the Class of 1932 be frightened away,and the University lose a most interested student, and compilers of college phenomena a most interesting subject.