"HAVANA CONFERENCE BOOSTS U.S."--HARING

PAN-AMERICAN UNION PUT ON TREATY BASIS

"I believe that the prestige of the United States was enhanced rather than diminished by the Havana Conference," was the statement made by C. H. Haring '07, professor of Latin American History in the University, yesterday to a CRIMSON operator. "Despite criticism from the press that little or nothing concrete was accomplished, in reality it was the most successful of all the International Conferences of American States yet held. Because the meeting did not bring forth something like a full-fledged League of American nations, it is said to have failed in its purpose. But when 20 nations, large and small, with a wide variety of interests, are trying to drive abreast, to accomplish anything at all is an achievement.

"As a matter of fact a great deal was accomplished concerning several pressing matters of this hemisphere. Some progress was made in the codification of international law, both regarding public and private relations. The Pan-American Union was for the first time put on a treaty basis, and its functions enlarged and defined. An important aviation treaty was also drawn up. The principle of the compulsory arbitration of all disputes susceptible of judicial settlement was adopted, and provision made for a conference in the near future to draw up appropriate treaties.

"Above all, however, the Conference was a success because it was the first to see a free and open discussion of political issues between the United States and its Latin neighbors, such as the question of intervention. It was a distinguishing feature that the initiative was given to the Latin nations, steamroller methods were in no way applied, and criticism was indeed invited. There is nothing like having the freedom and the opportunity to express your feelings. Frank discussion is good for the soul, national or individual. The Conference certainly gave these 20 nations, large or small, an opportunity for this. There was disagreement, it is true, but it was much better that it be above board than kept repressed. And our delegation came away with the respect, and I believe the admiration, of most of the Latin delegates. Charles Evans Hughes, a member of the American delegation, laid his cards right on the table at the beginning of the conference, and was willing to discuss any question, including the Nicaraguan situation."