THE BATTLE OF BEACON HILL

The Goodwin-Fuller feud is entering new realms. What started in the first act as one of the innocuous little duds so often hurled by Mr. Goodwin suddenly exploded, and Mr. Goodwin became the ex-Registrar. Act II was a banquet of condolence at Worcester. Tragedy was shoved off the boards by a triumphal burst as friends acclaimed in Mr. Goodwin the next Governor of Massachusetts. He neither accepted nor vetoed the proposition definitely; but he hinted at favor if the people so willed. No astrologer is needed to prophesy that Goodwin vs. Fuller will be the main contest at the Republican primaries this fall.

Act III shifts the scene to business and here the rivalry promises even more violence. Mr. Fuller's "Ask the man who owns one" finds a challenge in Mr. Goodwin's "Ask no one; judge for yourself." But there Mr. Goodwin plays false to his former role. His banquet appearance contained not a little invective against wealthy automobile dealers; and now, another Luther raging against the nobles, he turns and joins the hated ranks. Mr. Goodwin as Registrar was forceful; as candidate for Governor he will again be able to furnish pyrotechnic displays. But he cannot be too careful. Mr. Goodwin as the New England agent for the Elcar is giving the other side too much of a chance to steal his thunder; the primary campaign in itself promises plenty of sound and fury; and if it becomes a business struggle, Governor Fuller has a tremendous lead for even his pugnacious rival to overcome.