UNIVERSITY LOSES NOTED PROFESSOR

Was Head of Chemistry Department Since 1901--Dean Hanford Writes Appreciation

Professor Theodore William Richards '89, Director of the Wolcott Gibbs Memorial Laboratory at the University, died at his home, 15 Follen Street, Cambridge, yesterday noon after an illness of several weeks.

Professor Richards received his S.B. degree from Haverford in 1835, and in the following year received an A.B. degree from Harvard. Several years later, he earned his A.M. and Ph.D. degrees. He completed his studies abroad, studying at Gottingen, Leipsig, and Dresden.

He was assistant professor of chemistry at Harvard from 1894 to 1901, and since 1901 he has been in charge of this department. Professor Richards has been honored by many universities. In 1905 Yale conferred upon him the degree of Sc.D., while he has been honored with other degrees from Haverford, Clark, and the Royal Bohemian University in Prague.

At a late hour last night the CRIMSON was able to get the following statement from A. C. Hanford, Dean of Harvard College: "In the death of Professor Richards Harvard has lost one of its most eminent professors, and the field of chemistry its most outstanding figure. He was not only a scientist who made revolutionary discoveries in chemistry, but was a great teacher whose influence will live through the many students who have worked under him. Although a busy man he was always ready to give unlimited time to problems of the University, and for friendly advice to his colleagues and students."

Professor Richards received in 1914 the greatest honor a scientist may be accorded, the Nobel Prize.

He was a member of many societies, among these the Legion of Honor of France. Other academies he belonged to were the National Academy of Sciences, the Royal Institution of Great Britain, American Classical Society, Royal Swedish Academy, and the Royal Society of Edinburgh. In 1910 he was awarded the Davy Medal by the Royal Society.