MORAL MORASS

Often the college student is accused of his moral laxness, but it is seldom that the professor is attacked as he was on Thursday at the revival meetings in Tremont Temple. Reverend William E. Biederwolf accused the colleges of having too may "pallid prophets who have arisen to call upon our youth in the name of intellectual independence prophets of guesses and suppositions and unproved hypotheses who are leading our youth into a mental jungle and a moral morass."

The exaggeration of a statement delivered in the fire of oratory may be excused, but not so the essentially faulty idea of the reverent doctor. Fair example of a teacher in the American college may be found at Harvard. If the lecturer has the intention of deceiving the student, certainly the plot has been skillfully concealed. Scholars may reach conclusions which are at odds with the teachings of the church, but the blame does not rest with the professor. The student forms his own beliefs.

In fact, the tendency of the professor might be deemed more toward religion in general and Christianity in particular than that of the student. No small proportion of the faculty of Harvard lectures in Appleton Chapel, and undoubtedly there is a greater proportion of the faculty in attendance at the nine o'clock service than of the student body. Such a "pallid prophet" as Mr. Biederwolf mentions gets the least sympathetic audience among college minds.