TO SAMARKAND

What the Transcript acknowledged as a tour de force, what the other papers recognized as a source of good pictures, the production of the Dramatic Club last night, for a number of noteworthy reasons, received the greatest popular support that has for a long time been accorded its plays. With "The Moon Is a Gong", and the "Taming of the Shrew" in its immediate past, the club need not be praised for its progressiveness or ambition in producing the unproduced "Hassan". But what may be warmly approved, is successful concession to the general taste, without relinquishment of the spirit of artistic adventure.

"Hassan" is admittedly a three ring circus of costume and character, music and dancing, tragedy and love, couched in a verse tongue foreign to the modern stage, but in an idiom of beauty readily welcome. It is an amalgam of the accepted romantic and aestheic elements so healthily mixed in an atmosphere so familiarly strange that its reception was easily predictable. With such its attraction, the insinuating suggestion that its peculiar pictorial display, which so readily drew workers, may have helped to swell the tide of favor, can but skirt the vulgar.