THREE CORNERED CREW RACE ON CHARLES RIVER

BROWNE AND NICHOLS LEADS 1931 SECOND 150-POUND BOAT

The Charles River Basin was the scene of three mile races yesterday afternoon between lightweight Crimson crews and M. I. T. and Browne and Nichols boats.

The University, second 150-pound eight furnished a very close competition in its mile sprint against the Engineer lightweights of the same class, losing to a last-minute Beaver rally by a little over a length. The winning time was six minutes and three seconds.

The third Freshman shell evened things up by hauling across the finish line a length in the lead of the second M. I. T. Freshman boat, completing the course in six minutes and 12 seconds against a strong head wind.

Browne And Nichols Wins

The 1931 second 150-pound oarsmen dropped a one-sided race to the powerful Browne and Nichols schoolboy eight by three lengths. The time for this event was six minutes and 11 seconds.

The two University crews were confined yesterday by Coach E. J. Brown '96 to a brisk pull down to the Basin and back. There were no changes made in the boating of the men.

At about the same time in the afternoon, the three Cornell crews, here for Saturday's regatta with Harvard and Tech, left the Weld Boathouse and made a brief excursion down to the Basin to become accustomed to the cross-chop that usually disturbs the Charles course.

Heard To Select 150-Pound Crew

This afternoon, Coach C. S. Heard '25 announced that he would select the first 150-pound crew for Saturday's race. Another event scheduled for today is the embarkation of the Sophomore class crew at 1.30 o'clock for New Haven where they are listed to meet the Junior A boat of Yale, champion in the Blue interclass competition.

The Harvard boats racing yesterday were seated as follows:

Second University 150-pound crew--Stroke, F. B. Lee '29; 7, W. L. Shearer '29; 6, C. O. Tuck '30; 5, M. L. Bell '30; 4, Morton Cole '29; 3, James Hudson '29; 2, R. S. Holden '29 bow, S. S. Ganz '28; cox., D. F. Baum '30.

Third Freshman Crew Stroke, R. C. L. Timpson '31; 7, Brewster Righter '31; 6, W. M. Hawkins '31; 5, B. E. Rogers '31; 4, A. S. Pigeon '31; 3, W. N. Francis '31; 2, Z. B. Adams '31; mow, H. W. Williams '31; cox., A. M. Chase '31.

Second Freshman 150-pound crew Stroke, J. W. Fox '31; 7, J. B. Campbell '31; 6, G. T. Emmet '31; 5, D. C. Forbes '31; 4, W. K. Tuck '31; 3, Evan Raudolph Jr. '31; 2, Wellington Wells Jr. '31; 1, Paul Brooks '31; cox., M. T. Nichols '31.