FRESHMAN OARSMEN PICK SWAIM TO LEAD 1931 CREW

Present First Year Stroke Prepared at Kent--Heard Names 150-Pound Boat for Derby Regatta

Shortly after the Saturday afternoon victory over Cornell and M. I. T. the Freshman crew elected Stanley Wyman Swaim '31, of Needham, as captain for the remainder of the season, it was announced yesterday at Weld Boathouse Swaim is at present stroke on the first-year eight. He prepared at Kent School, where he set the pace for the second schoolboy shell.

The 1931 oarsmen, after showing great power on Saturday in their two and a half length defeat of a Cornell Freshman boat reputed to have held the first Ithacan crew even in early season competition, will not have another opportunity this spring to test their strength against invaders on the Charles. Coach H. H. Haines' charges make their next official start when they line up next to Yale on the Thames on June 22.

The 150-pound crew which will journey to Derby, Connecticut, this Saturday for a regatta with the Yale and Princeton lightweight boats, was selected yesterday by Coach C. S. Heard '25. The first eight has been undergoing many seating changes since its two length defeat by the Tech crew on May 5, but the new line up announced by Coach Heard is the same, with the exception of the coxswain, as that of the early season practices. The boating is as follows:

150-pound crew Stroke, James de Narmandie '29; 7, H. W. Bragdon '28 6, Captain W. I. Gregg '28; 5, R. D. Rolsier '28; 4, F. F. Farnsworth '29, S. F. B. Lee '29; 2 J. A. Swords '29; bow, D. S. Staples '50; coy R. H. Miller '30.