NEW PUBLICATIONS DIRECTOR IS NAMED

No Immediate Change in Personnel of Offices Expected--Was With Boston Transcript

The appointment of David Washburn Bailey '21 as director of Harvard University publications was officially announced yesterday. A variety of duties are included under this position, chief of which are the publication of the University Catalogue, the University Gazette, the Alumni Directory, and the Quinquennial Catalogue, as well as the direction of the University publications office which issues the various catalogues and pamphlets published by the University. According to the announcement made yesterday Bailey's appointment was made by the Overseers and is a University rather than a College matter.

While in College Bailey was assistant managing editor and then editorial chairman of the CRIMSON. He has been since his graduation with the Boston Transcript where he has had considerable copy desk experience and has also served as assistant dramatic critic to H. T. Parker.

Although definite plans have not yet been formulated for next year, according to Bailey no considerable alterations are being contemplated for the near future in any of the existing University publications. Whether or not any change in the personnel of the department will be made, was not announced.