CRIMSON EIGHTS TRAIL OVER HENLEY DISTANCE

COLUMBIA TAKES LIGHTWEIGHT HONORS WITH EASE

Outpaced by a brilliant Columbia light-weight crew from the opening gun of the American Henley race for 150-pound boats on the Schuylkill River last Saturday, the Crimson oarsmen lagged behind in the wake to fight for secondary position with Penn, Princeton, and Yale. Pulling sluggishly in the final quarter-mile, the Harvard entry took the wash of the three other shells and brought up the rear a length behind the Eli eight.

The Columbia 150's swept over the finish line five lengths in advance of the sprinting Penn oarsmen who just managed to edge out the Tiger lightweights by the margin of a front deck. Yale trailed Princeton by a length. The winning time for the mile and a quarter course was seven minutes and eight 3-5 seconds.

Third Crew Sprints Too Late

In the third crew event of the Henley Regatta, the University boat placed behind Yale and Princeton in a very close contest. The Harvard, oarsmen, rowing a lower stroke than their rivals for most of the distance, sprinted too late and, could not overhaul the leaders in the last furlong. The Eli shell nosed out the Princeton entry by ten feet with the Crimson following a length and a quarter behind. The time was seven minutes and six seconds.

"The two crews that raced at Philadelphia were seated as follows:

150-pound Crew A--Stroke, James de Normandie '29; 7, H. W. Bragdon '28; 6. W. I. Gregg '29; 5, R. D. Bolster '28; 4, F. E. Farnsworth '29; 3, F. B. Lee '29; 2, J. A. Swords '29; bow, O. S. Staples '30; cox., L. L. Wadsworth '30.

Third University Crew Stroke, J. L. Batchelder '30; 7, D. R. Kroell '29; 6. R. A. Page '30; 5, C. N. Comstock '30; 4. Roger Donaldson '30; 3. Amyas Ames '28; 2. E. H. Wilson '30; bow, J. S. Wintringham '30; cox., D. F. Baum '30.