NETMEN REPULSE YALE TEAM, 7 TO 2

Crimson Captain Defeats Pitman in Three Hard Sets--Doubles Matches All Taken by Harvard

A drizzling rain forced the University tennis players to resort to the indoor courts at Longwood on Saturday afternoon, where after an uphill battle they defeated Yale 7 to 2 in the final match of a very successful season.

Captain B. H. Whitbeck '29, staged a comeback in his encounter with Pitman of Yale, when a stubbornly contested three set match ended with a score of 5-7, 6-4, 7-5 in favor of the Crimson leader. Pitman stormed through the first set, using his fast flat first serve with great effect on the hard surface. Whitbeck, recovering in a fast second set, won it 6-4 and went into the third with terrific strokes which wilted Pitman's three-game lead and took the set for him 7-5.

Arthur Ingraham Jr. '30 also came from behind and battled his way to victory after dropping his first set to Wright of Yale. His precise stroking and excellent footwork were responsible for his winning the next two sets with little competition.

The three doubles matches were taken in short order by the Harvard netmen.

The summary:

Singles--Captain B. B. Whitbeck '29 defeated Pitman (Y), 5-7, 6-4, 7-5; M. T. Hill '30 defeated Mears (Y), 6-1, 6-0; Arthur Ingraham Jr. '30 defeated Wright (Y), 2-6, 6-4, 6-1; Martin (Y) defeated E. B. Ward '30, 7-5, 6-4; J. H. Appleton '29 defeated Cox (Y), 6-3, 6-3; Dixon (Y) defeated J. L. Ware '30, 6-4, 7-5.

Doubles--Whitbeck and Hill defeated Pitman and Mears (Y), 7-5, 6-2; Ingraham and Ward defeated Wright and Captain Reed (Y), 6-1, 6-1; C. R. Hamlen '30 and F. K. Trask Jr. '30 defeated Sloane and Todd (Y), 6-1, 6-1.