THE RACQUET CLUB

In spite of the remarkable record of these past few weeks in respect to dampness, a few sunny days did emerge from the general deluge to cheer those who were beginning to have visions of forty days ceaseless rain. The natural impulse under those circumstances was to don white flannels, exhume racket and spheroids, and travel as swiftly as possible to Soldiers Field; and exactly this was done by students whose number might without exaggeration be described as a throng.

Last Friday saw such a throng gathered in discontented attitude outside the Locker Building gate, for track had usurped the Stadium, to the exclusion of all else from the whole expanse of Soldiers Field, Likewise, on the morning of Memorial Day, the gates were closed with triple steel, and those who had ventured onto the Business School courts shortly beat a forced retreat. Each Sunday, too, the inevitable congestion of the University's tennis resources is increased appreciably by limiting to a few hours the time of use.

The original intent of the Sunday morning closure was doubtless in behalf of religious services; but it is hardly probable that the church attendance of students is much increased by this act. As for the difficulties arising on other days of the week, one might remark that though track, lacrosse, and baseball each has its thousands, tennis has its ten thousands; and that H. A. A. books are not universal. Freshman physical training occupies many of the Soldiers Field courts three days a week throughout May, and the already limited facilities are further diminished. The result is a choice between more courts, and more time for employing the present courts; unfortunately, both commodities are lacking now.