UNIVERSITY DEBATERS TO OPPOSE FILIPINOS

PRINCETON DEBATERS DEFEAT 1931 TEAM

E. C. Berkeley '30, J. K. Fairbank '29, president of the Debating Council, and U. G. Warren '31, will debate against the University of the Philippines tonight at 8.15 o'clock in Paihe Hall. The question to be argued is: "Resolved, That the Philippine Islands should be given complete and immediate independence." Three of the following men will compose the visiting team: J. C. Borja, Pedro Camus, Teodoro Evangelista, and Deogracius Puyat, president of the University of the Philippines Debating Club. They will uphold the affirmative side.

Last night two of the Freshman H-Y-P triangular debates were held at Princeton and at Cambridge. The questioned argued was: "Resolved, That the fetish of efficiency is a deplorable feature of modern life." The University Freshman combination, which upheld the affirmative side at Paine Hall, was composed of A. L. Kowarsky '31, A. S. Gilmartin '31, and W. H. Bowden '31, Their opposition was furnished by the Yale debaters W. E. Russell Jr. J. T. Miller, and J. T. McClintlock. Due to the small size of the audience, no decision was made after the debate.

At Princeton, H. C. Friend '31, W. P. Chapman '31, and D. I. Cooke '31 encountered the Tiger orators, and arguing on the negative side of the question, were defeated by a close vote of the audience in the Hall of the Cliosophic Society.