THROUGH A GLASS, DARKLY

The crusade of the debating team from the University of the Philippines to prove that their country is ready for independence kept its record clear by defeating Harvard last Saturday. So far in their tour of this country the islanders have won the votes of every audience they have faced, and no doubt they hope that such expressions of opinion will have effect in determining the policies of the "imperialistic" powers in Washington.

Conditions as they really are in such cases can never be determined to the agreement of everybody concerned. Largely depending on the newspapers be reads, the American who interests himself at all in such matters can form an opinion only on grounds which are stoutly denied by the other side. Politicians and members of the enlightened upper crust of Filipino society make large claims of their ability to manage their own affairs, while the Administration forces maintain that the bulk of the people are not sufficiently advanced for such a move. Imperialism, no matter how a country begins upon it is a course that cannot be abandoned without embarrassment, and the best of motives will often be misconstrued.

The practical value of such a trip as the Filipino debating team is taking may thus be seriously questioned. Any good American will cheer wildly for the sacred cause of liberty and vote for giving it to all and sundry who desire it, but an appreciation of the issues involved cannot be gained so casually. No doubt many Filipinos are quite ready for independence and sincerely believe they could make good use of it, but such problems as would be created by the Moro minority and the difficulties of preserving the independence of territory of such economic and strategic value to other nations would test the ability of a people well trained in diplomacy, to say nothing of one new to the responsibilities of self-government. Development of natural resources would likewise be more difficult if the capital of the United States were to be alienated.

Sympathy for their patriotism and admiration for their debating skill will, therefore, be freely and rightly extended to the islanders' delegation, but before rendering a final decision on the question it is well to remember that it is not merely one of freedom versus oppression.