CITY COMMISSION PERMITS ERECTION OF WOODEN STANDS

Other Plans Needed to Dispose of Crowds After This Year--Will Seat 54,000 at Present

Crowds attending the West Point, Dartmouth and Pennsylvania football games at the Stadium next fall will find the old familiar wooden stands blocking the open end of the horseshoe. W. J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, received notice yesterday from E. T. Roemer, acting building commissioner of the city of Boston, that permission to rebuild these temporary stands, suspended last year, would be accorded again for this fall.

Permission Conditional

The refusal of the Harvard Corporation on May 28 to approve plans proposed to erect portable steel stands in the open end of the Stadium had left the substitution of the old wooden seats as the only practical method remaining to accommodate the crowds of the 1928 football season. The permission once more to erect these sheds, condemned by civic authorities because of fire danger, was granted with the understanding that no such concession would be made after the fall of 1928.

Construction of the old seats will give the Stadium a capacity of 54,000 for the big games of next fall.