HONORARY DEGREES AWARDED THIS MORNING

President Lowell announced the award of the honorary degrees this morning with the following words:

Master of Arts:

Robert Ridgway: A mighty engineer who controls the transit of a huge metropolis, and has built tunnel and aqueduct under deep rivers.

Master of Arts:

William Clifford Heilman: Teacher and composer of music--a younger member of the group of men who have made our University eminent in that form of art.

Doctor of Divinity:

Logan Herbert Roots: Bishop of Hankow; true shepherd of a foreign flock, who has spent his lire in teaching to Chinese the significance of Christianity.

Doctor of Divinity:

Samuel Atkins Eliot: President of the American Unitarian Association. Able administrator and mitreless bishop of a body of independent churches.

Doctor of Laws:

James Jackson Storrow: Heir of high family traditions who, in peace and war, has been called in times of need into the breach for public service.

Doctor of Letters.

Paul Shorey: Famed in the world for his classical learning, and among his friends for the keenness of his wit, he is every inch a scholar.

Doctor of Letters.

Bliss Perry: A scholar in our own modern tongue, an author and a teacher with a rare gift for making delight in literature contagious.

Doctor of Science:

Winthrop John Vanleuven Osterhout: A physiologist who in the action of the primordial cell has sought the laws of growth that govern all organic life.

Doctor of Science:

John Jacob Abel: A pharmacologist who has applied physiology to disease by reproducing in his laboratory secretions of the glands.

Doctor of Laws:

James Kendall Hosmer: Graduating from Harvard seventy years ago, he served from modesty as a private soldier in the Civil War, and thereafter by his pen has enriched the history of England and America.

Doctor of Laws:

Herbert Spencer Hadley: Chancellor of Washington University in St. Louis. Formerly Governor of Missouri, who, after ruling a great state, has turned to leading a great commonwealth of scholars.