HARVARD SLUGGERS HELD HELPLESS AS PURPLE WINS, 6 TO 3

Cutts Unsupported in Efforts to Stop Worcester Men--Cirous Catch Nips University Rally

There were two out in the last half of the third inning at Fitton Field, Worcester, Saturday afternoon when F. E. Nugent '30 fielded an easy grounder from the bat of Captain Frank Savage of Holy Cross and tossed the pellet 15 feet in the air over first base. And although no one noticed it then, the soaring horsehide carried the ball game with it.

Shevlin walked, and Dobens, Holy Cross pitcher, took the occasion to whale a three-base hit somewhere out there and scored the runs which gave the game to the Purple. The final score was 6 to 3.

Besides this timely gesture with the bat, Dobens held the Harvard hitters in the hollow of his hand throughout the game. He allowed only four hits and struck out eight men. The potency of his spell is seen in the fact that although he committed every fault in the pitching calendar, the score was no larger. Three passes, three hit basemen, a balk and a wild pitch could not dim the glory of his hurling performance.

Cutts Pitches Strongly

F. B. Cutts '28, on the mound for the University, did a workmanlike job, and with any kind of support at the critical moments, might have won. He has already pitched 11 innings last week, and the strain told on him at times. As it was, he gave only five hits, but the Crusades hit with men on the bases.

In the closing innings the Crimson hitters began to find the offerings of the Holy Cross southpaw and straighten them out for solid hits where before they had dribbled feebly to the infield. There were two men on base, none out, and trembling hesitancy in the Holy Cross stands in the ninth when A. G. Whitney '29 lashing a screaming line drive to deep left center. Captain Savage, who was Harvard's Jonah for the day, appeared from nowhere and speared the ball backhanded with his gloved hand. Cutts followed with a double, but the next two batters died. R. C. Sullivan '28 on a pop fly, and J. P. Chase '28 on a called third strike.

Early Lead Tells

The three-run lead which the Purple accumulated in the first frame was never lost. With one out, Shanahan singled to right, Savage followed suit, and Shevlin swept the sacks as clean as the proverbial Dutch kitchen with a triple to left centre. When he tried to steal home Cutts hurled the ball to the grandstand.

The final Purple tally came with two down in the fifth. Savage walked and stole second and third. Shevlin also walked, and on an attempted double steal W. W. Lord '28 pegged to third, where the ball was lost by Nugent and Savage scored.

Dobens-started to crack in the seventh. A. L. Devens '30 walked, and Whitney singled. Cahill mussed up the throw-in and Devens counted. Cahill threw wild to the plate when he found the ball and Whitney came in. Cutts tripled and, when Dobens balked, scored.

J. N. Barbee '28, star Crimson hurler who has been out with a lame back, appeared as a pinch-hitter for John Prior '29 in the sixth inning. He hit one a mile high to the infield and left the game.

The summary follows:

HARVARD  a.b.  r.  h.  p.o.  a.  e.Burns, c.f.  3  0  0  3  0  0Chase, 2b.  5  0  0  3  5  0Donaghy, s.s.  4  0  1  1  4  0Lord, c.  3  0  0  4  3  1Prior, 1b.  1  0  0  8  0  0Durkee, 1b.  1  0  0  4  0  1Nugent, 3b.  3  0  0  0  1  2Devens, r.f.  2  1  0  1  0  0Hardie, l.f.  2  0  0  0  0  0Whitney, l.f.  2  1  1  0  0  0Cutts, p.  4  1  2  0  0  0*Barbee  1  0  0  0  0  0**Sullivan  1  0  0  0  0  0Totals  32  3  4  24  13  4*Batted for Prior in 6th.**Batted for Burns in 9th.HOLY CROSS  a.b.  r.,  h.  p.o.  a.  e.Harrell, 2b.  4  0  0  0  3  0Shanahan, s.s.  4  1  1  2  2  1Savage, c.f.  3  3  1  2  0  0Shevlin, 1b.  1  2  1  12  0  0Dobeas, p.  3  0  1  0  1  0Hurley, l.f.  4  0  0  2  0  0Cahill, 3b.  4  0  0  1  3  2Fisher, r.f.  2  0  1  0  0  0Phelan, c.  3  0  0  8  0  0Totals  28  6  5  27  9