BRILLIANT DASHES MARK SCRIMMAGE

Shifted Temporarily After Trial at Guard and Center--Long Passes are Practiced

The University backfield once again gave promise of unusual scoring ability by tearing off a series of long runs to bury the scrubs under the short end of a 29 to 0 count, in the fourth scrimmage of the year held yesterday afternoon on Soldiers Field.

Each of the four touchdowns was the result of a brilliant dash by one of the fleet Crimson backs. The last score was actually made on a short line buck but a 25-yard run by T. W. Gilligan '31 had placed the ball in a threatening position. Captain A. E. French '29, David Guarnaccia '29, and A. W. Huguley '31 accounted for the other touchdowns almost single-handed.

Guarnaccia gains 20 Yards

The first team was given the ball on its own 30-yard line. French attempted a tackle play but was thrown with no gain. On the next play Guarnaccia went through left tackle for twenty yards. A pass, French to E. T. Putnam '30, failed, but French raced around the left wing on the next try and, evading the scrub half backs, covered the intervening distance to the goal line. Putnam kicked the extra point.

After the ball had changed hands several times, the scrubs punted. Guarnaccia made a leaping catch on his own 39-yard line and dodged and side-stepped his way through the entire scrub team for the second score. The kick for extra point was not tried.

Gilligan made the score 16 to 0 when he dropped back from the scrub 20-yard line and booted a clean field goal.

Gilligan Sweeps End

The first team was then given the ball on the second's 35-yard line. A pass from Gilligan to O'Connell was grounded, but on the next play Gilligan circled the left end and was not brought down until he had reached the 10-yard line. G. C. Holbrook '30 pierced left tackle for five more yards. Here the scrub defense stiffened and it took three line bucks by Putnam and Holbrook to cover the remaining five yards, Holbrook carrying the pigskin over. Gilligan's try for the extra point by drop kick fell short by inches.

B. H. O'Connell '30 was shifted to his old end position in yesterday's scrimmage, but it is probable that he will be back with the center squad at the return of V. M. Harding '31 who is out for a day or two with a stiff leg.

The defense of the first eleven proved to be exceptionally good, especially against the laterals which the scrubs uncorked. In the entire scrimmage, the seconds made only two first downs.

W. D. Ticknor '30 reported with an injured shoulder which it is believed will keep him out of action for three weeks. The leg injury, which J. G. Douglas '30 received in Monday's scrimmage, is reported to be doing well and it is probable that he will be able to play by the middle of next week.