HARVARD GROUP TAKES THIRD R. O. T. C. CRUISE

VOYAGE PART OF REGULAR COURSE IN NAVAL SCIENCE

On the third annual R. O. T. C. cruise three score students from the University, Yale, Georgia Tech, and Northwestern University embarked on the U. S. S. Wyoming June 14 for a three weeks journey along the Atlantic coast. The trip included stops at cities as far south as Charleston and as far north as Portland.

Taking the R. O. T. C. cruise as part of their regular course in Naval Science the students were given instruction in every phase of seamanship from standing watch to piloting the boat. The students were entertained in every port with dances, teas, sight-seeing trips, and theatres.

While on the trip the students were treated as officers and occupied officers living quarters. Daily lectures were given on some aspects of naval science by one of the commanding officers assigned to the cruise. While at Hampton Roads the college men were given an opportunity to observe hoisting and catapulting sea planes.

Student orchestras, glee clubs, and entertainers from the four different institutions provided entertainment enroute. Some of the students were permitted to leave after a seven day cruise, others taking full benefit of the three weeks.

While the students were at Portland Maine, they were addressed by Secretary of the Navy, Curtis Wilbur. In his talk he stated that the naval department at Washington is highly interested in the R. O. T. C. units at the various universities and colleges, inasmuch as the navy feels that it must have a large and competent reserve to draw from in case of an emergency. Secretary Wilbur returned to Boston to disembark with the students on July 4.