TRADITION BOOKLET MAY GO INTO SECOND EDITION

APPLICANTS BESIEGE EDITORS FOR COPIES

At a late hour last night efforts were made to ascertain whether "The History and Traditions of Harvard College," the 80-page booklet sponsored by the College and published by the CRIMSON, would go into a second edition. The first edition of the popular volume, the first of its kind to appear in academic circles, has been completely exhausted, and it has been ascertained that many graduates and undergraduates have been unable to obtain copies.

"People are clamoring for the booklet," stated G. E. Cole G.B. '16, manager of the Coop yesterday afternoon, "and the Cooperative Society is in the embarrassing position of not being able to meet the demand. We have hounded the editors for the precious little volume, but it looks like another miscalculation of publication values. We have turned away 30 or 40 people this afternoon who refused to believe that just another first edition had become history. Many more copies could have met a ready reception from Harvard men."

Type Has Been Preserved

A. R. Sweezy '29 and R. A. Stout '29, editors of the booklet, announced that all the type had been preserved and that plans for a revised edition were being considered. New binding was being considered, several new pictures, and minor changes suggested by M. A. De Wolfe Howe '88, noted author, and J. F. Merrill '89, editor of The Harvard Alumni Bulletin. The booklet has attracted international attention, and is being translated into foreign languages.

The exhausted first edition was limited to 1550 volumes, 1000 of which were distributed free of charge to the Class of 1932. Ten copies have been placed in the College archives. All but 60 of the booklets were purchased throughout the summer by mail orders which came from Harvard men all over the United States.

The 60 copies remaining have evidently been far too few to meet the demand. The intense popularity of the little work is atributed to the feature article, "The History of Harvard" by Professor S. E. Morison '08. Harvard alumni have also commented extensively on the article, "Customs and Manners at Harvard," by W. I. Nichols '26. The article on late educational developments in the University by Dean Banford is being reprinted in educational journals. President Lowell, W. J. Bingham '16, Henry Cannon Clark '11, and Le Baron Russell Briggs '75 and R. A. Stout '29 are other contributors.