HARVARD MATMEN THROW COLUMBIA

Both Gain Falls After Fierce Fighting in Overtime Bouts--Warner Throws Opponent Easily

Taking the last three matches by successive falls, the University wrestling team came from behind to defeat the Columbia matmen 18 to 11 before a large and enthusiastic gathering in the Hemenway gymnasium Saturday evening. Superior technique displayed by the Columbia representatives in the lightweight classes gave the visiting grapplers a 11 to 3 lead at the end of the fourth match, Captain Joseph Lifrak '29 being the only member of the University team to gain a decision in the early part of the evening.

The contests in the 165-pound and unlimited classes were particularly exciting, both going to two overtime periods before the University wrestlers could gain a fall. In the former match, G. L. Graves '31, who has been forced to take off 10 pounds during the past week collapsed after winning a fall from his opponent at the end of 12 minutes and 35 seconds of fierce wrestling. W. H. Boldt '30 was likewise a victor in an overtime contest, forcing Cuneo, 230 pound football player, to carry the match into two overtime periods, finally throwing the Columbia grappler for a fall after 12 minutes and 45 seconds of intensive fighting. Nathaniel Warner '30 won the fourth fall of the evening in the quickest time of the meet, pinning his opponent's shoulders to the mat in less than half the time allotted for the bout.

The summary:

125-pound class: Farmlett (C) defeated J. H. Burns '29, by decision. Time, 2 min., 20 sec.

135-pound class: Simmons (C), defeated J. E. Evans '30, by decision. Time, 7 min., 40 sec.

145-pound class: Joseph Lifrak '29 defeated Belyea (C), by decision. Time, 2 min., 5 sec.

155-pound class: Clark (C) defeated E. C. Sykes, '29, by fall in 6 min., 20 sec.

165-pound class: G. L. Graves '31 defeated Carlston (C), by fall in 2 min., 35 sec. (Two extra periods).

175-pound class: Nathaniel Warner '30 defeated Baker (C), by fall in 4 min., 41 sec.

Unlimited class: W. H. Boldt '30 defeated Cuneo (C), by fall in 2 min., 45 sec. (Two extra periods).