THE NEW HOUSE MASTERS

In establishing the House plan Harvard authorities hope not only to foster a broader and more pervasive social life among undergraduates but also to stimulate intimacy between students and teachers. Toward the realization of both these ends the position of House master in the new residential groups will be one of pivotal importance. Without the proper personal force to give it vitality the entire experiment might easily fail of an ultimate significance beyond the addition of several building units to the Harvard plant.

From this point of view the choice of Professor Greenough and Professor Coolidge as heads of the first two Houses is a happy one. Professor Greenough has served a considerable term of years in the dean's office both as assistant and head dean. Any students who have had occasion to know him in this capacity can testify to his eminent fitness for a position in which the faculty to understand and guide undergraduates will be a prime requisite. Professor Coolidge, a man of lively perception and liberal sympathies, has also impressed the charm of his personality on the somewhat smaller number of Harvard men who have known him personally.

The present plan for the establishment of six Houses leaves four masterships still vacant. If they can be filled as competently as the first two are assured of being, a primary obstacle to the recanalimtion of Harvard life will have been removed.