The Compromise

THE MAIL

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

The learned scholar who contributed to your columns yesterday has given us a working foundation for solving the weighty issue of the Junior Prom. He decided that the constituency of the 1929 affair was representative of the class as a whole, but that at the same time the grand total of those whom he would like to consider representative was negligible. Now although such a conclusion may sound facetious, there is a chance that it may be mathematically possible. To get at the truth, why not conduct a scientific experiment as follows:

Let there be two dances the same crucial evening. Let the one be in Memorial Hall and the other in the Union. Let the general run of "representative" Juniors, attend the function in the festive atmosphere of Memorial Hall. Let those whom one likes to look upon as fellow-mortals gather together in the exclusive Union after due selection by a select committee of those "whose names are withheld by request."

Of course the fair companions of 1930 may raise complications. Some at the Union may find the assemblage of the elect too "representative" for their, happiness. And perhaps some in the Hall of Fame may be disappointed as usual with the great unwashed.

Then there is the question of hours. Scientific experiment will also solve this problem: let one run from 7 to 11.30 as every nice little party should, and let the other function from 1 to 6. Time allowed for a good supper in Boston and everybody would be gloriously happen! J. C. de Wilde '30.