Hygiene Figures Show Class of 1931 in Better Physical Condition Than 1932--Less Freshmen Are Color Blind

A decided retrogression in the virility and quality of constitution of members of the Class of 1932 as compared to those of 1931 is shown by the statistical survey of Freshman physical examinations just completed by Dr. Alfred Worcester 78, Henry K. Oliver Professor of Hygiene.

There is a decrease in this year's Freshman class of 22 men whose adenoids and tonsils have--been removed. The Freshman class musters two more appendices than does the Sophomore, while 28 more Freshmen have bad teeth and six less smoke.

To the credit of the Freshmen, however, 11 more can swim, 60 less wear glasses, and 10 are color-blind, as compared to 14 Sophomores.

As proof that the worst students are the healthiest, statistics on provisional Sophomores and Freshmen are given, showing that 90 per cent of the provisional students rate B's or C's in posture as compared to the 75 per cent of those in good standing. Also, more of them smoke, but more wear glasses.

Freshmen have 24 less A's in posture and 35 loss B's; there is a corresponding increase in C's and D's. The large number of Freshmen falling below C in posture has increased the size of the class for special corrective exercise under N. W. Fradd from 151 to 220. All men who fail to get more than a D are placed in this group until improvement warrants their removal.