BACKFIELD LINEUP PRESENTS PROBLEM

Giant Sophomore Joins Tackle Squad as Two are Dropped to Scrubs--Hard Work Today and Tomorrow

With the perplexing problem of picking his backfield combinations pre-eminent, Coach Horween sent his forces through a long scrimmage against the scrubs yesterday afternoon. Two more workouts of similar nature are scheduled, one today and another tomorrow.

When the University players reported inside the practice enclosure yesterday W. B. Trafford '32 188-pound tackle, was with the squad. He was promoted from the seconds as two members of the first string group, a guard and tackle, were sent down to Coach Knox's squad.

No count of scores was kept in yesterday's grind. The various plays in the Crimson repertoire were run off and Coach Horween called the ball back regularly in order to analyze the carrying out of assignments and to give individual instruction. A thorough drill on offensive and defensive tactics was undertaken, the major emphasis being placed on the former. The Harvard mentor gave out two new plays which were tested in skeleton drill and then under actual fire.

Throughout yesterday's workout, various backfields were sent into action while the coaches attempted to get a more definite line on the prospective Harvard ball carriers. The first quartet to take the field was composed of Charles Devens, T. W. Gilligan, and Harper, with Wood as signal-caller. Mason, Mays, and hotter respectively were then sent in as substitutes for the first of these three. Two more combinations, on which most of the other candidates working out under backfield Coach Casey played, were also sent into action, but so bewildering was the series of substitutions that no definite information could be gleaned as to the makeup of these groups.

The berths on the forward line seem to have been quite definitely assigned, as no changes from the regular lineup which has seen service these past days were made.