Tutorial System Hailed With Favor in Harvard Dental's Curriculum--Was Confined Only to Junior as Experiment

An experiment in the Harvard Dental School curriculum, in the form of application of the tutorial system to that professional course, met with initial success in its brief trial last year. Though the tutorial system has long been used in Harvard College and has been taken up to some extent by other colleges, this is the first time that system has been applied to a professional school of dentistry.

The subject of this Dental School experiment, which was carried on a comparatively small scale, was the Junior class. Divided in the second semester into small groups of from three to five men each with a tutor for each group, the class hold tutorial conferences. In these conferences the members of the groups discussed and weighed material covered in their reading and the subsequent theses and reports.

The early and not unexpected success of the experiment was due in part to the enthusiasm with which it was received by both students and tutors of the Dental School. The adoption of the new system has tended to widen the scope of dental study.