Are College Years Wasted

Probably there will be no exodus from Princeton as a result of an interview with Floyd L. Carlisle, a New York banker, in The Daily Princetonian. He tells his college audience that, except possibly for courses in debating, four years on the campus is a four-year handicap for men intending to enter business; that college training is useful only for law, engineering and science. The start which one entering business at 18 has over one entering at 22, even with his college degree, is usually too great to be overtaken, in his opinion.

Something like this has been said before. The banker believes that college life develops "lazy habits of thinking," that it is too soft and easy. Yet the fact remains that many Wall Street houses give preference to college men as beginners, and the percentage of men with collegiate training who have done well in business and finance in New York City must be very high. Yet there must be times when, puzzled how to decide among the qualifications of more boys than there is room for, Dean Gauss and Dean Hoermance wish that Mr. Carlisle might win a few prosolytes to his harsh theory. New York Times.