GARROD TO LECTURE IN THE NEAR FUTURE

Contrasts Leisure of University Life in England With Bustle in American Colleges

Heathcote William Garrod, Professor of Poetry at Oxford who has been appointed to the Charles Eliot Norton Chair of Poetry here, expects to begin his public lectures in the near future, as soon as he is able to complete his plans for the series of six which are customarily given at Harvard.

While en route from Liverpool to New York Professor Garrod lost his accumulated lectures of five years, and he is finding it necessary to write anew upon his subjects for the Norton series.

"I certainly hope that my lectures can be found," said Professor Garrod to a CRIMSON reporter yesterday. "I intend to open the series with a lecture on Poetry and the Teaching Office, a subject which I hope is not too old-fashioned for Harvard men. Then I expect to speak twice on Matthew Arnold, and once on Emerson."

Beyond these four lectures, Professor Garrod has made no plans. The exact dates and subjects of the entire series will be announced later, when he has had an opportunity to adjust himself to his new surroundings, and perhaps regain his lost manuscript.

Fellow of Merton

He is at present a Fellow of Merton College, Oxford, having spent his student days at Balliol, and a period as tutor at Corpus Christi. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society, and since 1918 he has been Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire.

Professor Garrod was very much interested in the Rhodes Scholars who attend Oxford, but remarked that Americans found the atmosphere of leisure there different from the hustle and bustle of college life in this country. He said, too:

"What surprises me is that Americans who come over to Oxford find it more expensive than their own universities. Living expenses here seem to me to be much higher than at Merton, or any other Oxford College."

"Do not ask me my impressions of Harvard; I have not yet been here long enough to form any, although by the end of the year I shall no doubt have formed many."

Crimson Surprises Him

The fact that the CRIMSON is issued daily was a surprise to him. Again he commented on the energy of the students, who would work enough to produce a newspaper every day. In Oxford publications are issued weekly at the most, and at great leisure.

The Norton Chair, established by C. C. Stillman '98, was first held in 1926-27 by Professor Gilbert Murray, Requis Professor of Greek at Oxford, world famous classicist and man of letters. He was followed in 1927-28 by Professor Eric R. D. Maclagan, Director and Secretary of the Victoria and Albert Museum of London. The chair was vacant during the past year.

Professor Garrod edited the Oxford Book of Latin Verse in 1912. He is the author of numerous books of criticism, and the editor of several editions of verse, both classical and modern. At one time he was editor of the Journal of Philology.

The six public lectures which he will deliver this year are later to be published in book form, under a provision of the endowment by Mr. Stillman.