COACH FRENCH SHIFTS FRESHMAN BACKFIELD

Hardy, Husky Tackle, Made Fullback on Team A--Offensive Power, Speed Sought in Hard Drills

Lineup shifts seemed to be in order yesterday on Soldiers Field, for Coach French reorganized his Freshman squad during the course of the afternoon workout.

In an attempt to bolster up his backfield, the first-year mentor transferred I. B. Hardy Jr., 200-pound tackle, to fullback on team A. Hardy has been a regular tackle on the 1933 eleven, but the proven strength of the Freshman rush line shows that there is plenty of material for the forward wall.

The entire squad has been striving for more speed and power on the offensive. With this object in view, Coach French pitted his first team against the second and dormitory teams in a stiff scrimmage yesterday afternoon. Lateral and forward passes have come in for their share of attention and no little success attended their use. An adequate defense against aerials has been the main weakness of the 1933 combination so far, and considerable attention will be given this department of play.

The Freshman eleven encounters the Vermont Academy team this Friday and the development of the 1933 aggregation will be revealed by the outcome of this game.