Notes of the Hub Theater

Next week will see a new influx of plays to Boston to replace the six closing this Saturday. Prominent among them will be "The Perfect Alibi", one of the few detective plays that had a really extended run on New York stages last season. A. A. Milne is the author and succeeds in constructing a well-knit and logical mystery story in his first venture into a new genre of writing. In the company are Vivian Tobin, Richie Ling, and Harry Beresford, as well as the complete supporting cast from the New York showing. "The Perfect Alibi" will open at the Plymouth Tuesday.

"Journey's End" is by now so well known that very little need be said of it. It comes to the Wilbur next week, displacing Katherine Cornell's vehicle. "The Age of Innocence". A gripping war play that was first written for production by an amateur mens' club in London and hence contains no female parts, it is even more effective than the success of some years ago, "What Price Glory". In common with most of the more recent literature about the war, it makes no use of melodramatic narrative, but instead paints a series of unforgettable characters and scenes inside a front-line dugout.

For the musically inclined, there will be a new musical comedy as well. "Carry On" with Jack Donahue in the leading part will be at the Shubert beginning next Monday. The Albertina Rasch girls make a skillful chorus, while Lily Damita is a convert from the movies who will try her hand at a new type of acting, and should add considerably to the aesthetic appeal of the show.