BARNARDS TO PUBLISH CRANE AUTOBIOGRAPHY

Booklovers are Planning Illustrated Edition from Manuscripts Given to Library by Parker

Publication of the autobiography of Walter Crane, famous nineteenth century artist, in a volume to be illustrated with Crane's own sketches, is announced by the John Barnard Associates, a group of University booklovers. The most recent gift of A. H. Parker '97 to the College Library is an autobiographical memorandum made, in his own handwriting, by Crane in 1874. It is this notebook which will furnish the material for the John Barnard book scheduled to appear this winter.

The most attractive feature of the autobiography will be the marginal illustrations, reproduced from sketches of the author's which are in the possession of the Library. Some of these were made by the artist while on holiday in Derbyshire, and the sketches referring to matter in the text of the autobiography have been secured for the new volume. The compilers have had a wealth of material from which to draw, as the Library possesses most of Crane's sketchbooks, in the Caroline Miller Parker Collection.