BUT, ONCE A YEAR

The Harvard Yale football game is neither the oldest football rivalry in the country nor is the gridiron the most ancient meeting place of the two famous rivals. The contest has come however, to have an almost legendary distinction which probably harks back to the days when it represented something very like the championship of the United States. Whatever the explanation, there is still no doubt that it is impossible for men of either institution to imagine anything quite like this game.

There are things in New Haven which Harvard men cannot understand, there are things in Cambridge which the men from Yale look upon with astonishment and a certain sceptical disdain. But there is one point upon which the men of both institutions are equally agreed; they want to make the Harvard Yale game the finest sporting event in the country.

The vicissitudes of a varied season make it impossible for either team to carry away from the stadium this afternoon the crown of a championship. But the undoubted strength of the two teams, the expected colorful performance of several of their individual members, and the intense yet gracious emotion of their supporters promises an afternoon fully in accord with the fine old sporting tradition.